Following are the results of the Limpa-Sweet Rye bread test. Overall the results from our 153 testers were very positive and we have ideas to address problems testers did have both with their machine and with the mix. When reading through the comments sections there are two things to note. First, the comments start out with the tester’s answer to the question: Would you recommend this product to others? Second, portions of the comments will be in bold followed with a number or letter to denote that at the end of the section there will be a corresponding note addressing the bolded portion. Thank you again for being a Sturdiwheat Tester and we look forward to the next test.
I. Bread Machine Results
Black & Decker
- Definitely-Perhaps adding a water temp range to the directions-might help the novice baker(A). Great bread one of my favorites. (All in one horizontal #UNK)
- Definitely-Great flavor & so easy! Delicious. I took this bread to a dinner party & collected feedback. Rave reviews-the only area without all positive feedback was that the middle/bottom was slightly doughy. (Ultimate)
- Definitely-I am not a rye bread fan in general, but your products are all so good, I loved this bread -one error on my part-I took it out of the oven too early- couldn’t wait!
- Definitely-Loved the flavor & appearance-rye bread is not easy to make from scratch, even using a bread machine, this was very good-chewy, crispy crust, nice color, good rye taste. My husband ate it & loved it and he doesn’t like rye bread as a rule. And it rose up beautifully-high(N). (TR800)
- Definitely- It could not be more simple to make-How totally easy! The loaf came out perfectly! It was beautiful, cooked just right, and is it ever tasty!! Absolutely Delicious. Slightly sweet with an excellent texture, plus the taste of rye. I Love It! (TR800)
- Definitely-It has a great, unique taste. It was wonderful with jam or butter. It was a bit dry on its own(Y). We loved it though! (TR900)
- Definitely-It was different from the original rye bread which was nice. (TR2200C)
- Definitely-Healthy whole grain goodness-no additives-all Sturdiwheat products are good. The name ‘limpa-sweet rye’ is misleading(B). It is sweet (a little too sweet), but not limpa at all and not very rye…I make limpa at Christmas every year and it is much denser & heavier. We did add dried fruit to the mix to make it more authentic. We certainly loved this bread, but it’s certainly not Swedish limpa-although excellent bread. (TR2200C)
- Definitely-The best bread making mix I’ve ever tasted! I’m Swedish and I am so happy that I can get this bread mix to make my own Swedish bread. You guys are awesome!!! (TR2500BC)
- Definitely-Very good-Not too much Rye. Texture remarkably smooth & tight. Sweet. (TR2500BC)
- Definitely-Moist flavorful loaf. Fine crumb! We are rye bread fans; this loaf has distinct rye flavor and is also sweet. Not easily accomplished.
- Maybe-From someone who doesn’t like strong rye bread I wouldn’t buy for but for those that like rye bread definitely. For some reason there was a small spot in the center of the loaf that was not fully cooked, maybe a dime size around(W)? And the top ‘crowned’ there was a separation at the top-not sure why. Otherwise the bread is great and will make a perfect Reuben. Thanks for selecting me to help test!! (Ultimate Plus)
- Definitely-It had excellent texture and flavor. If you can keep the price down it will be a definite winner. This bread turned out as well as any I’ve made from scratch, and did not have a “premixed instant” flavor to it. And nothing is easier than dumping warm water, the mix, then sprinkle the yeast. Thank you! (CM725K)
- Definitely-I enjoyed the ease of this product. I used a bread machine but doing it by hand wasn’t hard either. (CM725K)
- Bread was very dense and did not rise much. The core did not cook and was still very moist(V). While the rest was cooked just. The taste was excellent.(Turbo Bread Baker IV)
- Definitely-Taste was delicious, despite appearance. The bread was a bit misshapen(L). It was almost cone-like toward the top of the loaf (bread pan). It also had a burnt bottom(O). The taste was great though. (FTR-700)
- Definitely-The bread rose well, had a mild rye taste and was moist and sweet. It can be used for sandwiches, soup, or toast for breakfast-I think it is a great addition to your products.(HB-B101)
- Maybe-The crust was hard(O). I don’t think it works well in bread machines. The pre-bake texture is very sticky & I had to scrape the sides down prior to the bake cycle(G). Maybe less water? Other bread I bake takes 1 cup of water. It didn’t rise to the top of the cooking bowl- it filled ¾. (HB-B102)
- Definitely-It was delicious and ease of preparation. The shape caused the crust to crumble and was messy. (HB-D103)
- Definitely-It was easy and delicious. The color and texture were beautiful. Our grandchildren loved the flavor. I wish my Norwegian mother-in-law was still living; she would have enjoyed it too! (HB-D301)
- Definitely-I’ve used your products before, and all have been delicious. I already have recommended your products to others. Love your bread mixes, pancake mixes & syrups. All have been recommended. I’ve given your products and received them as gifts. (48487)
- Definitely-Taste is excellent, easy to make, Sturdiwheat brand is trustworthy. Next time, we would choose “wheat light” setting. Crust was very dark(O). Flavor is strong with rye upon first bite, with after note of sweetness. Good complexity. Thank you for the opportunity to test your products.(BM500)
- Definitely-We loved it a touch of rye flavor & a touch of sweetness (Yum). We had the bread with corn beef brisket & the bread went lovely with the meat. I thought the bread had a very nice color. I am a stay-at-home mother raising 3 boys so I cook a lot & I enjoy cooking for my family. If you would like for me to test any other products I would be glad. Thanks. (5815)
- Definitely-On medium crust setting it turned out a little darker than I would like and I appreciate a crispy crust. (5834)
- Definitely-Great flavor. Easy! I gave appearance “good” because the crust was a little dark(O). I would recommend using a “light” crust setting. Great compliment to my Swedish dinner! (5838)
- Definitely-It is an excellent product. I think you should let people know about what temperature is “luke warm”(A). I don’t know if it was the flavor of this bread or the fact that I added the yeast by sprinkling on top, but the bread came out higher than I remembered(U). (5838-026)
- Definitely-Ease of preparation. Tasty. Only problem was with our bread maker. Bread got a little dark on the sides, but it does this with other breads also(O). Did not affect the taste at all. (5838)
- Definitely-Hard to cut(F); soft. The taste is delicious. My bread maker makes a 1 ½ lb loaf and it’s big so that may make it difficult to cut. (5848)
- Definitely-This bread is not only easier than my favorite “Whole Wheat” recipe, it’s BETTER!!! I can’t say I’m surprised I have yet to find one of your products I haven’t loved. (CKSTBRTW20)
- Definitely-Good flavor, not too strong rye flavor. The top of the loaf edges stuck to the pan(K). I have never had this happen before.
- Definitely- It was good, and easy to make (using a bread machine). The loaf was misshapen, not sure if that was a result of the mix or my machine(L). But it didn’t affect the taste or texture. Thank you!
- Definitely-Yes I would recommend it & I have recommended it-I served it to several family members & all enjoyed it. Thank you for letting me participate. (SD-YD200)
- Definitely-Easy, good flavor. (SD-YD200)
- Definitely-Good crust and texture, flavor just right. Keep it going! (SD-BT55P)
- No-Too sweet & not enough caraway seeds in mix(I). If you improve the mix, I would like to try it. Thank you. (SD-BT55P)
- Definitely-I/we just Loved it & so easy to make- I made it with Dough mode because I have a friend who is Swedish-so when I baked the bread I split it in 2 & made 2 loaves one to share-She & her husband loved it too-Your products are amazing-a friend gave me one of your pancake mixes for Christmas one year and I have been using it & trying different bread mixes too-haven’t had one I didn’t like yet- I had never had Swedish Limpa-Rye Bread before. Thank you for broadening my horizons and also being such a wonderful, understanding company to deal with. P.S. Did I tell you less than 24 hrs later & the bread is all gone? Truly delicious. (SD-BT56P)
- Definitely-Sturdiwheat products are all excellent-value, content, taste, ease of preparation. Can’t beat pancakes, bread pudding, whole wheat bread, cornbread. (SD-BT66P)
- Definitely-Very easy & good. (SD-YD250)
- Maybe-Bread turned out very black on crust except for the top(O). Maybe would have used medium loaf size on bread maker(S). Texture & flavor of inside was wonderful! Took crust off & was great for sandwiches! (SD-YD250)
- Definitely-Yet another great product from Sturdiwheat. (K6743)
- Definitely-Great flavor & texture. Incredibly easy! We prepared the bread when we had company. We live at 5318 feet so elevation often causes my bread machine bread to fall. I increased water to 1- 1/3 C. per my machine instructions. Perfect(R) ( K6756)
- Definitely- Easy & very flavorful. We love all your products! I make the breads weekly & the cereal is very good. (6760)
- Definitely-Great flavor-made a beautiful loaf of bread. I feel like I would like to try & make it the old fashioned way as well. Very tasty with great texture. Nice packaging & easy directions. A+ (6760)
- Definitely- We liked it even better than your wheat bread. Like the sweetness of the rye-it’s a very good flavor contrast combination. (6783)
- Definitely-I Love Swedish Limpa Bread. This is my very favorite bread!!! Keep making it!!
- Definitely-Good Flavor. Nice crust-great flavor. Typically we don’t buy kits-too expensive. Really enjoyed eating this bread. (Kitchen Pro)
- Definitely-Overall good tasting. Crust was a little darker than I like, but was still good(O). I would buy this product! (SBM-20)
- Definitely-Crust was a touch overdone(O). (5841)
- Definitely-Mix is reliable and not too touchy if you change it slightly. Dough was too sticky so added ¼ + 1 Tbsp. unbleached flour(G). Since adding the flour, added ½ tsp yeast. Crust is too chewy & thick on wheat setting of the bread machine(H). Needs more seeds. Is there orange peel in there-it’s usually in limpa, isn’t it(J)? I thought Sturdiwheat had a Limpa Rye mix previously that was excellent. Why change it? Or maybe you didn’t & I used the regular setting in the past. Don’t remember so much molasses(I). I know that we like the texture of bread a lot when we add 1/3 c. ground flax seed(X). We probably would like that in this mix also. (5891)
- Definitely-Very good bread. (5891)
- Definitely-Great Flavor! Easy!
- Definitely-Very convenient & easy. Great texture and flavor. I really like the hint of sweetness and ??anise? This is one of the best ryes I’ve tasted-flavorful but not overpowering. (Breadbox Plus 1145)
- Definitely-We loved the added sweetness to the bread. It was great. I would buy it. (1147)
- Definitely-Easy and Tasty! I like a crusty homemade bread and with my Toastmaster Bread Machine and your “Sturdiwheat” Limpa-Sweet Rye, a match was made! (1185)
- Definitely-Quality ingredients. Good quantity and taste. Easy to use. The yeast packet was out-dated so I substituted one of my own(D). I baked the loaf in the machine about 15 minutes less so as not to over-bake and cause the loaf to come out too dry(E). Result was excellent. (The bread is my favorite when toasted with peanut butter. Enjoyed it that way since I was a youth eating my Swedish grandmother’s home-baked limpa bread.) Thanks for the opportunity to participate. (1195)
- Definitely-It was soo good. Loved the flavor. Loved it! (11895)
- Definitely-It’s so easy, tastes great & is very healthy for you. I love your products. I would & have told friends & family about your products. (1195)
- Definitely-We had loved all your products we have had! We will remain loyal customers. (1170X)
- Definitely-The instructions are very simple & if you use a bread machine, even easier! This bread has a great taste! The rye isn’t too overpowering. Very sweet, pleasant taste. Very moist! I would definitely buy this Bread! When it was mixing in the Bread machine, it was really wet(M)– I was concerned, but I let it go to see what it would do-it was fine when it was baked. Thank you for allowing me to demo it! (1183X)
- Maybe-Had a different taste then I’m used to. It may need a booster of more rye seeds etc(I). It was not bad-just different. (TBR15)
- Definitely-Because I can’t put the first slice down to write this. Crust is crunchy but not dry(P)-end pieces are my favorite. Tasty rye in every bite. My husband, the non-experimental one when it comes to bread varieties, just asked for another slice. Good chewiness. Flavor in every bite, fine even consistency, not heavy or dense, evenly baked, would serve it to my card club-all excellent cooks & bakers. Won’t last long in our house! Loved! My grandmother from New Jersey (near all the best delis) would think it came from the old country! (41052)
- Definitely-Bread was very good. I thought, at first taste, there was something a little overpowering-maybe the molasses. The directions could indicate whether to leave the bread in the pan to cool or remove immediately(C). (41040)
- Definitely-It’s simple, convenient & so delicious! Sturdiwheat is the only mix I use- (41073)
- Definitely-This is our second favorite bread mix-Sweet cardamom is our #1-We love Sturdiwheat. We made this loaf for our student tutors to test and it was gone in no time-they want us to make 2 loaves next time!
- Definitely-Great flavor, easy to prepare for a specialty bread. Highly recommend. Flavor not overpowering. Worked great as toast too.
- Definitely-Good and easy.
- Definitely-It tasted good and was easy to make. I noticed after I made the bread that the package specified a 1.5 lb loaf. I used the 2 lb setting because I read the instructions to make “large” loaf(S). That was the highest setting (2 lb) on my machine. (WS0598)
- Definitely (BBCC-515A)
- Definitely-Ease of preparation and taste. I needed to add 3 T. whole wheat flour to make the dough come together(Q). The fragrance of a slice being toasted is heavenly. (BBCC-X20)
- Definitely-Excellent flavor-both sweet and subtle rye. This would be great for either a sandwich bread or a base for finger sandwiches or appetizers. (BBCC-Q15)
A. We will add a °F range to our directions.
B. The name informs non-Swedes that this traditional Swedish Rye is sweet compared to our Dark rye
C. Either way should work.
D. The numbers stamped on the packet are very misleading. The numbers on Yeast packet was 7.0g 9314 37. This translates to: 7 gram packet made on November 10th, 2009 and is good for 24 months.
E. We will experiment with a lighter setting on that specific machine.
F. A serrated knife is necessary, allowing the bread to cool helps too.
G. The Limpa dough is very sticky and we will experiment with reducing the water
H. We will experiment using a lighter setting on various machines and post the results online.
I. Traditional Limpas vary between Swedish bakers. All include orange flavor and are slightly sweet.
J. No. Grains-both rye and wheat, they vary slightly from season to season.
K. We will experiment using a lighter setting.
L. This varies between machines and the following brands produced this comment in our test: Faberware FTR-700, Oster. Rye breads take longer to rise, and it could be they need a longer processing time than some machines allow on standard settings.
M. We will experiment with less water.
N. This bread machine (Breadman) is one of Sturdiwheat’s favorites.
O. We will experiment with a lighter setting.
P. That is all in the crust setting, one tester took out the bread 15 minutes before baking was complete to prevent excessive crust.
Q. We will experiment with the dough consistency.
R. Most machines come with high altitude directions. One tester had great luck with her machine at 5,318ft by increasing water to 1 1/3 c. per her machine instructions (Regal K6756).
S. We will take note that both settings work on the Williams Sonoma.
T. See A
U. Great, we will take note about the machine and the yeast.
W. This is odd because your bread machine (Breadman Ultimate Plus) has produced consistent good results. Maybe the element is going out?
X. We will consider this for new recipes.
Y. Could be removed from bake cycle 15 min early or use light crust setting.
II. Oven Results
Conventional Oven Comments:
- Definitely- This bread is delicious, like a dessert bread. Perfect on a cold, snowy winter night. Thank you!
- Definitely- The great unique flavor. Best package mix I have ever tried. Keep up the good work. Want to get another to try in my bread maker.
- Definitely- Not a typical bread found in grocery store. Did not bake/prepare-only ate. Like the dense hearty texture. Good with cream cheese for breakfast.
- Definitely- Tasty, easy to prepare, great to go with soups.
- Definitely- Very easy, good for novice bakers. I followed the directions carefully but the dough was too moist and I needed to knead in quite a bit of flour. Perhaps the amount of water should be reduced for conventional baking.
- Definitely- Overall, your products are good-it’s a matter of taste, not quality. Conventional instruct a little vague. Add water temp range. “Vigorously stir-vague-was very wet after 30 min. Had to add at least ¼ cup flour-not “lightly”. Was still tacky-stopped adding flour. Brown/ firm crust in 30 min-took out-a bit chewy, but would have been dry at 40 min. GE Profile Oven is 10⁰ below 350⁰ on average. Directions could be more precise for novice bakers. Give dimensions for dough flattening.
- Definitely- Easy, Excellent flavor, Healthy. Love it! Thank you for allowing me to try it out.
- Definitely- Very flavorful not too difficult to prepare. Dough was hard to knead-very sticky(1)! But otherwise preparation was not bad.
- Definitely- Can we order more is what my husband asked? He loved it w/out any jelly and butter. Excellent, sweet, crusty crust. Top shelf!! So easy to make.
- Definitely-Sweetness added more flavor to rye taste. I’m not usually a big fan of rye bread but this was really good warm with butter spread over it-goes well with meals also.
- Definitely- I really love the flavor; I also love the ease in making. I’ve always been afraid of making bread; not sure about using yeast, seems too difficult, but now that I know how easy it is with your bread, I’m definitely going to make more. Thank you for introducing me to bread making!
- Definitely- Fun to make, smells good & tastes good. Dough was sticky (1). Not what I’m used to when making white or wheat bread which is a very stiff dough. I thought it would be a real mess to knead but it wasn’t. I used a pastry cloth with ¼ cup flour on it (2). That was enough to turn the dough from a sticky ball into a kneadable, nice firm loaf. Thanks for the opportunity to test your product!
- Definitely- This was my first try at making bread! And it came out great. Found 40 mins. bake time to be perfect. Only had veggie oil cooking spray for pan. Still came out great! Would love to test more products.
- Definitely-My daughter & son-in-law couldn’t stop sampling the Limpa & they don’t usually like rye bread. Thank you for allowing my family to participate in this test. I love your products!
- Definitely- Fun to mix, tastes good, smells good, nutritious. I enjoy this very much. Almost from “scratch” but not as messy. I would like to try it in bread machine.
- Definitely- Easy and delicious. Didn’t rise as stated in instruction (3), but still came out good. Also, the middle was not quite done, so I would recommend a slightly longer cooking time (4).
- Definitely-The ease of preparation and the taste. I enjoyed making this bread. The aroma as it baked was wonderful and my husband and I really liked the taste of the bread.
- Definitely-Flavor is excellent! On the directions, should yeast sit and dissolve before adding mix(5)? Rising time is long. Handles well. Very pleased!
- Definitely-Great taste, good density. Why not use whole wheat flour instead of enriched(6)?
- Definitely-Add Directions for using a stand mixer to knead dough.
- Definitely-Excellent taste and texture. Never made rye before so not sure about time to prep. Great Product! Almost as good as Pancakes & Batters.
- Definitely-It was easy to make and tasted good. It was probably my technique but the dough didn’t rise as much as I thought it would so the bread was quite dense and not airy(3). The finished loaf measured 9″L x 5″W x 3″H.
- Definitely-It is unique and incredibly fresh and has great texture. As for instructions, I wasn’t exactly sure how long to knead this bread(7). I typically use a dough hook, but wanted to do it by hand. Wasn’t sure when “tight and smooth” was achieved. I especially enjoyed the chewy, multi-grain texture of the interior with a harder crunchy crust. This really tastes & appears to be a gourmet bread!
- Definitely-It was easy to make & very good.
- Definitely-Tastes really good! Took longer to rise due to cool temps in our house in winter (65⁰). But I expected that-should be in the directions for “new” bakers (8).
- Definitely-We love your breads. They take a long time before baking them-but I think they are worth it. We like the crunchy crust and light rye flavor.
- Definitely-Has a full rye taste & different kind of texture than most rye breads. It’s unique! Thank you for letting us taste test this.
- Definitely-Good quality, taste, and ease of prep. This is a great bread that was enjoyed by my entire family. Keep me in mind for future evaluations.
- Definitely-Because it was great!
- Definitely-We thought the (usually strong) flavor of the rye was minimal-therefore very good. Perhaps the touch of sweetness was the magic.
- Definitely-Water 110⁰ -great choice of yeast brand #1. Conventional oven- I would add-add yeast stir & dissolve (9). Easy dough to work with. Wonderful flavor-doesn’t taste like a mix.
- Definitely-Delicious and pretty!! Excellent combination of the classic rye flavor and the Sturdiwheat base. I love the Sturdiwheat flavor in everything!
- Definitely-It’s very easy to prepare and delicious! I made the recipe with the help of my Kitchen Aid stand mixer for mixing and kneading. I let the second rise go for a full 2 hours and the loaf was perfect(3).
- Definitely-We served it w/ company who loved it. Nice compliment w/o ruining appetite. Our house is [email protected] 68⁰-the bread didn’t rise as much as we thought it should. So we used our “proof” setting in the oven for the last rest/rise before baking. The ends didn’t rise as much as the rest of the loaf which is why we rated appearance “good”(3).
- Definitely-Tastes like my Grandmother’s. Part of our Swedish Holiday.
- Definitely-It took a bit of time to make but it was delicious. So others need to try it. It was well worth my time to make this bread. Thank you for letting me test it. I made it on 1/21/10.
- Definitely-Great comfort food. The flavor & texture make a wonderful sandwich bread (Reubens). Goes great with butter & a bowl of homemade soup.
- Definitely-Delicious-4 people trying it agreed!
- Definitely-I would stress the length of steps & time. Too many steps & time involved(10). You have to set aside a few hours for all the steps involved.
- Definitely-It is really good! Easy to make, but takes a long time(10)! I baked the bread the same day it arrived, and which it took several hours; it was worth the time and effort. The look of the loaf, the aroma, texture and slightly sweet taste were excellent. I can hardly wait to try it toasted.
- Definitely-An excellent loaf; fine texture and flavor. I add yeast directly to flour; mix well and then add liquid. I also add more flour (white) while kneading. I also use a rolling pin to flatten dough(11). Otherwise directions worked well.
- Definitely-Hard to find a bread like this in a bakery. It was a little on the heavy side(3) I thought, but overall very good.
- Definitely-The taste is great. It is a little difficult to handle because it is sticky(1), but manageable. It didn’t rise very much-could be the altitude in Denver-5280 ft(3,8).
- Definitely-Because it is totally awesome. It’s easy to prepare, tastes great.
- Definitely-Easy to prepare. Tastes great. Healthy. Have liked all the Sturdiwheat products that we have ordered. The products are healthier than most we can find.
- Definitely-Easy, wonderful flavor. Wet dough for kneading-added more than the original “lightly floured counter”(1).
- Definitely-Great protects to have in the pantry for days when a special bread is desired. I live at high altitude (4800 ft) So I added about ¼ more flour(8); Total time was 5 ½ hrs-so rising was slow; It would help to have high altitude directions on the pkg. (if distribution includes such areas). This is a very good sweet rye. I’d like to see a dark rye or pumpernickel also! Thanks-I enjoyed testing! This was more like a honey whole wheat with light rye flavor-but a good tasting bread nonetheless.
- Definitely- Great flavor! Gone in 2 days! My husband LOVED it.
- Definitely- Easy. Length of kneading time would be helpful (5-8 min)(7). Needed a longer rise(3)-1st rise 6 hr, 2nd rise 3hr Nice oven spring (didn’t expect that)
- Definitely-The flavor & texture is wonderful. We love this bread and will continue to order it.
- Definitely-It is so easy to use that anyone can do it. The concept is great, especially for busy moms and people on strict schedules. I have made bread by hand for many years and usually steer clear of mixes because the flavor & texture are not well developed but yours is the exception. I will be trying more of your products. Thank you for the opportunity!
- Definitely-Excellent bread! It was new & different for us. We liked the touch of sweetness and of course the natural grains. For our next dinner party, I’ll bake it & serve it along w/ Sweet Cardamom-nice variety! Thank you!
- Definitely-Loved the taste and everything overall; even my husband who doesn’t like rye liked it.
- Definitely-It’s easy to make and tastes amazing! Love your product, looking forward to trying others.
- Definitely-Yeast bread making is a challenge for me. This experience definitely reduced my fear of yeast baking! It would be helpful to add a suggested time for kneading(7).
- Definitely-This was the 1st time I made bread. Took a little longer than I thought, but the bread was wonderful.
- Definitely-I live at altitude and have not had a problem with adjustments. I have enjoyed your breads (& bread crock from Red Wing Pottery) for years. It is always a treat. Thank you for the bread!
- Definitely-A good way for non-bakers to see how easy bread really is, tasty product. Baking at elevation (6500 ft) Used 95⁰ water, proofed in 95⁰ oven, baked 45 min. The percentage of rye flour is just right, spices are excellent-perhaps more milk? My family enjoyed this bread, but I wish there was a longer ferment involved to improve the taste(12), but that sort of thing would make instructions prohibitively longer, perhaps you could put alternative baking methods on your website(8,13). Given the limitations of the package and label size this pre-prepared mix is excellent. I’m just spoiled by my own breads. I would absolutely recommend this to others or give it as a gift in the future.
- Definitely-Excellent flavor and easy to make. Dough was very sticky. Needed to use more than a little flour. One downside is top was very done yet the middle was a little underdone-very minor after I tasted it! VERY GOOD
- Maybe- I would recommend for bread machine-unless someone is really into making the traditional way. Yummy-especially hot out of the oven!
- Maybe-I would suggest preparing in a bread machine. I guess I’m not as good of a bread maker and should invest in a machine as the instructions & prep time would be even easier. I am enjoying the product as is my husband. Thank you.
- Maybe-I think using a bread machine would have made it a lot easier. The inside of the bread was very moist but the outside was a little tough(14). The bread had a good flavor.
- Maybe-I wouldn’t do it by hand again. Kitchen-aid mixer next time. Bread machine would be good. It never really rose until it was baked. I wonder if the yeast was old(3). It took quite a lot of additional flour to get the correct consistency. “Lightly flour counter” not so accurate(1). Bread was apparently done after 40 min, but the center was still moist/doughy(14). Wonderful taste. We snacked on it hot from the oven, with nothing on it. Will make great toast I’m sure!
- Maybe-Bread machine may be easier. Also, time. My dough was really sticky(1). I live at 6200 ft(8). which may have affected that. Bread still turned out okay.
- Maybe-Handy. Different flavor/Variety vs. normal bread mixes.
- Maybe-I would first try it again and let it rise longer the first time to see if that makes it bake better. It looked done at 40 min so I took it out then. The dough was extremely sticky and I had to add at least another cup of flour to it while trying to knead it(1). The flavor is very nice except it tastes like it has some anise in it, which I didn’t really care for. Thanks for letting me be a tester!
- Maybe-I would because of the taste but wouldn’t because of the prep time (10). My husband just loved this very hearty-a guy kind of bread!
- Maybe-A little heavy(3). Didn’t say what to cover bread with for 1st rising(15). The flavor was very good. Ease of mixing was good. Much better with butter.
- Maybe-If I take this much time I will make my own bread(10).
- Maybe-So Good!
- No- My friends wouldn’t devote 4-5 hrs at home to make 1 loaf. 4 ½ hours (actually more by the time it cools and can be bagged) waaay too long to make a loaf of bread(10), even when it’s good!
- No-Baking time too long(10). This bread is too sweet. Might work for a fruit-nut bread. I followed the instructions exactly as written. The actual work was minimal but a lot of time is required to complete the span. I used the conventional method not the bread machine.
- No-Took too long to make(10)-Product was too sweet.
- No-Not pleased with the results. This was my second attempt at this bread. I added an additional packet of yeast. It was an improvement over first attempt(3).
- No-Didn’t taste good and smelled terrible(16). I was really surprised I didn’t like this as I love all other Sturdiwheat products I’ve tried.
1. We will experiment with less water.
2. We will try a pastry cloth with flour and possibly include in online alternative directions.
3. Rye flour takes longer to rise and we will try some longer proofing times at room temperature.
4. Differences in loaf shape and oven calibration may account for this.
5. Traditionally, yes. Our directions will change.
6. We use a traditional flour for Limpa and a whole wheat flour for our Whole Wheat bread mix.
7. We will post knead times for all of our bread mixes online.
8. Rise time varies with room temperature, we will include these times in online alternative directions.
9. We agree and our directions will change.
10. Yup! This bread mix works in most machines if that helps in this busy world. It can bake while you sleep, too. You will lose the ability to work and shape your own character into the loaf but the aroma still fills the house.
11. Adding yeast directly to flour is often done now. Adding flour made the dough less sticky, and since the result was great we will include these options in our resources.
12. We can study this for a range. Our baguette mix develops great character sitting at room temperature up to 24 hours.
13. Yes! We are putting together tips and alternative directions for the website.
14. The Limpa crust is chewy but you could reduce the temperature and bake a little longer for a lighter crust.
15. Wet towel or dry towel, we will try both.
16. Not a lot of options for that! Thanks for trying it.